Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Great Expectations, the movie. Directed by Alfonso Cuaron, starring Ethan Hawke.

This movie came out in 1998, and I’d half expected it to be like Pride and Prejudice, or Becoming Jane, or Ever After. I was wrong, surprisingly. I’m usually emo after watching deep-thinker-type movies like this, but I don’t think I’ve ever been to this extent.
Normally when you see a hunk like Ethan Hawke star in a movie adapted from a Charles Dickens book, you’d shrug and assume the worst, because hey, how better off can it get if you get a guy you’d usually watch in a chick flick. But how I stood corrected! Ethan Hawke did a brilliant job in this movie. I was so enthralled at the end of it, and I cried during the ending. Imagine what it feels like to have the very benefactor of your life-long success die in your own arms. I just sat there and wept and wept, because I did so want him to achieve what he wanted in the end. The story does follow its title through and through. You expect and expect all your life, and yet nothing goes the way you want it to. What’s more heartbreaking is the fall of his social life. Falling in love with Estella has been the first thing he’s done ever since he met her, and yet all his life, she treats him indifferently. I can’t say I know how he feels like, but I suppose I do have an idea which is why I can relate so much to what he feels when he receives word that she’s to be married the very next week.
"But you love her. She’ll only break your heart, it’s a fact. And even though I warn you, even though I guarantee you that the girl will only hurt you terribly………………………..you’ll still pursue her. Ain’t love grand?."

No comments: