Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Pianist

I watched The Pianist yesterday and found it mind-bogglingly heart-wrenching. Never have I come across a movie that can portray such musical beauty in a time of war and holocaust horror. I had to stop a few times to calm myself down, forget the torture and pain splattered all over the movie and remember what it is I downloaded it for.
The dread I feel when watching the Germans exterminate the Jews in thousands at a time, families, elderly, children, its amazing how it makes me wonder how lucky I am to live in such a poverty-free and peacefully sovereign society. Adrien Brody was fantastic. My kudos goes to him; learning the piano just for a movie is definitely a troublesome task and mainly because of the hellish practicing that has to come with it. The nocturnes/ballades by Chopin made the movie all the more easier for me to relate to how Szpilman feels when he finally plays on the piano after years of war.

No comments: