Monday, October 27, 2008

Jay Tomas Reunites With Out of Wedlock Son


I guess nobody cares about Jay Thomas anymore, because if not for the fact that I heard about this on the Howard 100 News (The Howard Stern Show news outlet on Sirius XM Satellite Radio) I don't think I would have seen it. Yes, it was on the Today Show, but it was on the 27th hour that Kathie Lee hosts. Certainly SOME people care; he's gotten plenty of press attention for the story over the past few months.
I think it's a good story, although not exactly Lifetime TV material. Here's what happened: Jay Thomas, an actor and radio personality (he used to be on 'Cheers', and also had his own show called 'Love & War', plus he's done a ton of movies and TV guest spots), had a son with a girlfriend 28 years ago. The boy was adopted as an infant and his parents named him John Harding, although his nickname was JT, same as Jay's. JT moved to L.A. 11 years ago hoping to find his biological dad. He knew from his adoptive family that, " my biological dad was 'different' and not like the rest of us. Those remarks often caused me to fantasise [sic] and wonder about just me who my birth dad really was... A monster? A member of the traveling circus?"According to JT the younger, he eventually heard that his father was on 'Cheers', so of course he thought that meant Ted Danson. Not quite. Eventually he found out it was Jay, and they've been spending time together ever since.So why are we only hearing about this now? As the National Ledger puts it, "It's just that JT's star is rising now, with his JTX band and his hot Next Plateau Records song, 'I'm Gonna Party Like a Rockstar.'" In other words, they want publicity. In fact, Jay says in the Today show clip that he's selling t-shirts that say, "I Reunited With My Biological Son Because It Was Good For Both Our Careers" or something like that. Can't find the shirt, though.Thomas is so cynical and hilariously inappropriate, making this is a slightly different adoption-reuniting tale. Nothing wrong with that, right?

No comments: